Wednesday, May 26, 2010

How 13 Years Somali Boy Escaped from Al-Shabab militias

In Somalia, young boys are nowadays easily lured to join armed militia with promises of money and ‘religious obligations’. The phenomenon is not new but it has now become lifestyle for many because of the widespread and systematic nature of recruitment.

The enrolment of the child soldiers has spread to refugee camps in neighbouring countries such as Kenya where it’s now recognized as recruitment spots by the warring sides.

International Conventions on child rights ban the recruitment children in wars and term it as a "war crime", words which are non-existence in Somalia.

Hundreds of Somali children lost their life and important parts of their body in the worsening conflict in Somalia.

Hassan Nor Abdi, (First two names not real), 17 year old boy from Afgooye town, located some 30 km north of capital Mogadishu, was one of the children who were forced to fight against the government and AMISOM troops in Mogadishu.

Abdi rose in Mogadishu, which has gained a status as the most dangerous city in the world.

Got freedom back after three years of risk

I met him in Beledhawo, Somali-Kenya border town; Abdi joined Islamist militias early 2006 when the Islamic Union Courts militias captured Mogadishu and overpowered the warlords. Later early 2009 he wanted to leave the militias but he was forced to fight until he sneaked January 2010.

Abdi was not feeling free while he was militia, he told BIN “I used to dress an army camouflage with an AK-47 assault rifle every time, but now I am feeling free. I am just like the other youths around the world,”

While he was militias, he was not able to talk frequently or freely because his movements and activities like many of his friends were monitored daily by their masters.

“I got my freedom back after three years of risk, I am too young to die, I don’t want to go back, I like to be free from the militias. I want a normal life like other normal teenagers,” he cries.

Now he ran for hundreds of kilometers to Kenya from Somalia to escape the dangerous of the gang militias, but still he is in scare of them. He likes to study and become a doctor to survive his country for the feature.

Here is the interview of Hassan Nor Abdi, how he joined the militias and how his life was before, he was only 13 yrs when he joined the militias.

BIN: When did you start carrying a gun?

Abdi: It was 2006, just after I finished my Quranic studies and Ethiopians invaded our country.

BIN: Any one who influenced you to carry a gun?

Abdi: Well I can’t say or pin point any particular person but my elder brother played a great role and also my peers.

BIN: So your elder brother is also a ‘gun man’

Abdi: Yeah he is among the top commanders in the Al-Shabab militia.

BIN: Tell us about your life as a soldier.

Abdi: I grew up in a religious family. I have four brothers and two sisters. We are only survived by our mother. Our father died seven years ago out of illness. At my tender age, I was already used to guns because my father and uncle were both soldiers.

My elder brother, who is 19 years of age, started carrying guns while I was very young. He was part of Islamic Courts militia. I remember him coming home with his AK-47. So I gradually grew with the good perception of guns. I was never afraid of it even though I knew it kills.

The first time I handled a gun was 2006, just immediately after Ethiopian invasion. At that time I finished my Quranic studies and had nothing else to do. I used to go with my friends to a small play ground in our neighbourhood to pass time but the presence of Ethiopians deterred us from coming together.

Soon, my peers started joining the battle against Ethiopians and few of us were left. That is the time when my brother and friends encouraged me to join the jihad (holy war) against Ethiopians (passage omitted).

BIN: How does it feel to be a soldier at this age?

Abdi: At that time, I think for me, I saw myself as a warrior who defends his religion and people, not a soldier who is after money, but now I see it was very risk to be soldier in this age.

BIN: You are too young to hold a gun?

Abdi: Yeah but that time my religion was at risk, so I defended it from the infidels but later when Sharif was elected I decided not fight longer but I was forced to fight.

BIN: is there any particular group that you are fighting for?

Abdi: I fought for Al-Shabab militias.

BIN: Did you get any training?

Abdi: Yes, I was trained to fight on the frontline; a foreign teacher from Pakistan educated me how to fight with Ak-47 and garnets. I was in Far-Wamo training camp 15km Northwest of Bulogadud village of Kismayu city, the capital of Lower Juba region in southern Somalia.

BIN: Please describe for us your daily life. How you spend your time?

Abdi: Before I sneaked from them mostly my time I was free, but every morning I used to report my seniors who give us instructions for the day. We usually act as law enforcers sometimes.

BIN: Any ugly scene you encountered with since joining the militia?

Abdi: My worst nightmare happened mid last year, I think it was May or June. I was freshly deployed in Muqdisho’s Kaaraan area. That time, my group was fighting the government militia and we were ordered to join the battle at the front level.

We battled out with government side and took over some positions but they later retaliated and caught us off guard, pondering us with heavy weapons. I narrowly escaped the death but three of my friends were not so lucky. That is how far I went with death. It was terrible.

BIN: Do you regret joining the militia now that you know it is a matter of death?

Abdi: Now yes but before I believed in one thing that I will die the day Allah says so, I was thinking to hold gun high and live in accordance with my religion.

BIN: Now that the country is free from Ethiopian invasion and is headed by Sheikh Sharif, who is a well-known Muslim cleric. Do you think there is a need to wage jihad against your fellow Muslims?

Abdi: Not now, but Before I and my friends thought still there are enemies in the country. Our teachers and seniors were lecturing us to fight until we flash out whole the foreigners from out country they used to say to us every morning “What is the different between Ethiopians and the Ugandan? Absolutely nothing!”

BIN: Any future hopes and dreams?

Abdi: In the future, I would like to be a doctor and lecturer to survive my country and youth for the feature.

ource: http://beforeitsnews.com

No comments:

Post a Comment