Saturday, January 8, 2011

Farah powers to Edinburgh win

Mo the merrier: Farah wins the Men International Team Challenge 8k & Scottish Interdistrict race

Double European champion Mo Farah began 2011 in style by winning the Edinburgh Cross Country at a snowy Holyrood Park.

Farah captained the Great Britain senior side in the men's international team challenge and powered to victory in the 8.2kilometre race.

The Somalia-born 27-year-old moved to the front shortly after going through the halfway point and steadily extended his lead, particularly up the treacherous steep hill.

Farah, who needed treatment following the same event last year after coming close to collapsing, told BBC1: "I wanted to do well here, it was something different and I really enjoyed it. I put a burst in but knew the guys had a strong finish, so I wanted to keep pushing and progressing."

Asked if he was feeling the pressure of increased expectations following his superb 2010, Farah added: "No, it's something I worked hard for, I've been out in Kenya training hard.

"I don't feel pressure, it's something I love doing every day."

Farah remains undecided about defending his European indoor title in Paris in March, saying: "I would love to defend my title but I have to think about bigger things.

"I've finished sixth and seventh in the World Championships and I really want to do better there. It's hard to peak twice and I really want to do well in Daegu (South Korea)."

Despite the unfamiliar conditions there was a Kenyan clean sweep in the men's 4km race, with Eliud Kipchoge winning ahead of compatriots Asbel Kiprop and Brimin Kipruto.

And Kenya's Linet Masai won the women's 6km race ahead of Ethiopia's Genzebe Dibaba, with Vivian Cheruiyot third ahead of Britain's Charlotte Purdue.

Source: Press Association

No comments:

Post a Comment