Friday, February 20, 2015

'For real': Joe Biden says there's an 'awful lot' of Somalis driving cabs | Sun-Times National

'For real': Joe Biden says there's an 'awful lot' of Somalis driving cabs | Sun-Times National

It’s been quite a run for Vice President Joe Biden of late.
From his shout out to his old “butt buddy” last week, to continually keeping human resources on its toes, Biden’s been on a roll.
And that continued Tuesday afternoon during a White House summit on violent extremism.
He attempted to draw draw a parallel between his hometown of Wilmington, Delaware and Minneapolis, where local leaders there are working to prevent the radicalization of Somali youth, because he said Wilmington has a “large, very identifiable Somali community.”
He continued:
“If you ever come to the train station with me you’ll notice I’ve great relationships with them because there’s an awful lot of them driving cabs and are friends with me. For real,” Biden said.
As with many of Biden’s gaffes, the audience response was minimal, with some uncomfortable chuckles mixed in.
“I’m not being solicitous,” Biden said. “I’m being serious.”
But CNN hit the streets and did a little fact checking in Delaware.
“I don’t think I’ve seen any in Delaware,” said Anthony Eber, the owner of the six-cab Family Taxi and an immigrant from Sierra Leone. “I see some Guinean [drivers], but no Somali drivers.”
Either way, his statement mirrors that time in 2006, when he talking about Indian-Americans in Delaware.
“You cannot go to a 7-Eleven or Dunkin Donuts unless you have a slight Indian accent,” he said. “I’m not joking.”

No comments:

Post a Comment