Thursday, July 23, 2009

Mo Farah Not Casual About Record Bid

Farah - eyes record

Mo Farah is determined to break the 27-year-old British record for 5,000m at the Aviva London Grand Prix, and admits it is long overdue.

Dave Moorcroft's time of 13 minutes 00.41 seconds - a world record at the time - has stood since July 1982 and Farah knows breaking 13 minutes is the least he needs to do to be a medal contender at next month's World Championships in Berlin.

"It's been there too long," Farah said of Moorcroft's record, which was set before he was born. "I'm getting sick of people asking 'When are you going to do it?'

"I need to be running under 13 minutes and I'm in good shape so I should be capable of it. Training has been going well and I definitely want to give it a go tomorrow.


"The crowd can make a big difference. I've been running at Crystal Palace since I was 13 and hopefully the crowd can be as good as ever."

Farah has already broken one British record this year, smashing the 3,000m indoor best in Birmingham before winning the European title over the same distance.

And the Somalia-born 26-year-old is already targeting more success on home soil at the London Olympics in 2012.

"You have to have a dream and mine is to be Olympic champion," he added. "Athletics is not just about taking part, it's about winning.

"London 2012 is going to be awesome and I definitely want to give it all I have. I'll be 29 then and that's when I should be reaching my peak."

Source: Press Association Sport

No comments:

Post a Comment