Sunday, August 22, 2010

Let the women lead Somalia

Nuradin Farah – Interview JEUNE AFRIQUE

While his country is sinking a little more, the author of Exiles considers only its citizens can leave the chaos of Somalia. Interview.

Until July 11, 2010, the plight of Somalia attracted much media attention. And the attacks in Kampala (Uganda) – 76 dead – and claimed by the Shabab militia were again brought the country to a Western newspapers: what if the conflict in Somalia were to threaten the stability of the entire Horn of Africa?

Exiled last forty years written many novels (born of Adam’s rib, Territories, Milk sour-sweet), the writer Nuruddin Farah is in close contact with her homeland, where he was involved in possible in politics. Exiles, his latest novel is a fair and sensitive paintings of everyday Somalis, who since the fall of dictator Siad Barre have not experienced stable condition. An attentive observer of chaos as various foreign interventions – American in 1992-1993, Ethiopia between 2006 and 2009 – have failed to halt, Farah can not imagine a solution remote from the outside. Optimistic despite its lucidity, sometimes candid, it remains viscerally convinced that peace will come from Somali. This he confided to Jeune Afrique ago. Before the deadly attacks n’ensanglantent Kampala and the African Union (AU) decides, on July 26, 2000 to send men to lend a hand to 6000 Ugandan and Burundian soldiers of AMIS Somalia (AMISOM).

Jeune Afrique: Most radio stations in Somalia have continued to play music in response to an ultimatum set by Islamist militia of radical Hezb al-Islam. How do you react?

Nuruddin Farah: It’s a waste of time and a tragedy to ban music. Somalia faces significant problems, and it would be better spend their energy on solving the terrible crisis the country faces.

When did you record for the last time?

There was one and a half.

How are things going to happen when you go there?

I like it. Somalia is tragic moments. What is happening is not very pleasant. But I am always impressed by the inner strength of people. It is surprising how resistant they are considering what they endure every day for twenty years.

Is it hard for you?

Yes. And much more when I give my opinion.

Like the hero of your latest book, Exiles?

Much worse.

Why?

As you interview me in Paris, Somali journalists ask me. And whenever you give your opinion, someone get angry, and someone angry, you make an enemy, and in a location where a gun is power, an enemy is a threat to your life. But I have so far been very lucky. Even if I could not go to Mogadishu, a year ago and a half because it was now too dangerous.

What do you do when you return to Somalia?

I have no close family there. My parents, my brothers and my sisters have left the country. I have still good friends, and I got involved with very little success in politics. I try to promote a peace process. I belong to no party. I fight in my own name, even if it’s a stupid way to act. My only loyalty is to the peace. In particular, I approached, before the arrival of the Ethiopians, the Islamic Courts, which ruled Mogadishu and the government of Abdullahi Yusuf Ahmed. Neither party will listen to me, and I told them unfortunately happened: Ethiopia has invaded Somalia. I remember being told the current president, Sheikh Sharif Sheikh Ahmed, and former President Abdullahi Yusuf of the tragic consequences of a lack of agreement. Today, the tragedy continues.

Fighting a dictator, is it easier than facing the chaos?

It’s easier. If the dictator is in agreement with you, then it is possible to go somewhere. And of course we can make him wear the hat. But it is however very difficult to assign responsibility when no one controls anything. We would like to say it was you who did this! But we can not say that Sheikh Sharif is the one who decided that there would be more music on the radio.

You seem to think that only women can save Somalia …

History has proven that my pessimism vis-à-vis men was justified. These are the ones who destroyed the country. They are those who have mismanaged the nation. Since women were the main victims of this flawed policy, there is hope – I say hope – they are the saviors of the nation. Fact: since the crisis began and Somali people have fled, first to refugee camps and in other countries, women are those who, with dignity, maintained family ties , took care of children …

The men involved in unnecessary political bickering, talking and chewing qat all day, then sending money to armed groups in Somalia to buy their weapons. Men have ceased to destroy the country, and women – inside and outside – are a peaceful alternative to self-destruction. In my book, I chose a very young girl like heroin. The current generation of men who have destroyed the country, is the bearer of no hope. Even the boys – they are those who hold the weapons now – playing cowboys.

Your voice can be heard in Somalia?

People can not necessarily read my books, since they were deprived of education. Schools are closed, the civil war continues and the only Somalis who have the ability to read are those who live outside the country. But I give interviews to radio and write articles. Whether people like it or not, many of them hear what I say. I repeat, “Peace! Peace! Let the women run the country “for twenty years. Some people think I’m crazy. But I’d rather be taken for a fool to talk peace rather than relentless weaving laurels to the government. My opinion is a minority, but hopefully a minority sensitive.

To write is to keep your country alive?

To write is to stay sane. It also means having a job! I would be unemployed if! I do not know any country as well as Somalia, even though I lived in many other countries in Africa and North America.

How do you keep informed?

This is not very difficult. I have family and friends. I do not know maybe not the details of daily life, as the price of sugar, but it hardly matters. What counts is the general mood. What you should know is that Somalis do not run Somalia. Some receive instructions – dictates – and money of non-Somali, groups allied with Al Qaeda, North America, Western Europe, and they do what is asked of them.

You mention the size of clan conflict in your novel …

I mention especially the misconception, both inside and outside Somalia, the concept of clan. The clan is 100,000 people. When it comes to clan fighting, does that mean that 100,000 people are fighting against 100,000 other people? No. What happens is that ten people may belong to the same clan fight against ten other people from another clan for control of a particular street and the money it generates in taxes. There was no conflict clan!

If a gang of Guadeloupe fights in a district of Paris against a gang of Koreans Will we say that Guadeloupe is fighting against Korea? The conflict is economic and political. A warlord belongs to a clan, but it works a bit at home, in France, what would they say a CL would-be mayor of Paris? Those who think that we are savages, baboons are naked next to the plate.

The international community can she do something for Somalia?

Tell me what it is that the international community! She did not speak with one voice. Nobody can do anything for Somalia. Only Somalis can. They are solely responsible.

Your children feel Somali?

It is very difficult. They focus more on their Playstation, their computer, Facebook, as the tortured politics of Somalia. They have a fractured life. They were born outside their country, have lived in Nigeria, in England, South Africa, the United States and they do not belong to any of these countries. They are part of a generation lost to Africa. My daughter wants to become a writer and she thinks now write books of science fiction. It’s easier, it is not necessary to have roots. Is an interesting contradiction!

Source: JEUNE AFRIQUE

No comments:

Post a Comment