Sunday, April 13, 2014

Athletics-Kenyans dominate as Farah toils in London debut - Yahoo News

Athletics-Kenyans dominate as Farah toils in London debut - Yahoo News

World record holder Wilson Kipsang and twice world champion Edna Kiplagat led Kenyan domination at the London marathon on Sunday as Britain's Mo Farah toiled on his highly-anticipated debut.
Farah, the world and Olympic 5,000 and 10,000 metres champion, came home eighth as Kipsang secured a second London title with a course record two hours four minutes 29 seconds.
He kicked clear of compatriot Stanley Biwott who was 26 seconds back with Ethiopian Tsegaye Kebede third.
Farah, who was never in contention after dropping behind the leaders from the start, gritted his teeth to cross in 2:08:21, outside the British record.
"I will be back," Farah told the BBC. "I'm not going to finish it like this. I gave it my all but I'm disappointed I didn't go out there and give what the crowd deserve.
"It was pretty tough. I'm quite disappointed but you try things and if they don't work, at least you gave it a go. I missed one drink station but it was really just the pace - I should have gone with the front group. The pacemakers were slightly ahead of me but you learn - life goes on."
Edna Kiplagat won her first London title after finishing runner-up in the past two years, getting the better of compatriot Florence Kiplagat in the final 200 metres to win in two hours, 20 minutes and 21 seconds.
Edna Kiplagat outkicked her namesake who finished three seconds behind with Ethiopian Tirunesh Dibaba, making her marathon debut after a glittering track career, taking third, 14 seconds behind the winner.
Last year's London winner Priscah Jeptoo dropped out of the race at around the 25-km mark while Olympic champion Tiki Gelana finished ninth. (Reporting by Justin Palmer, editing by Pritha Sarkar)

No comments:

Post a Comment