Sunday, April 26, 2009

The minister for justice of the Somali government has opposed the idea of reopening clan Islamic courts again in the capital Mogadishu, officials said

Right up until sharpshooting Navy SEALs rescued him, Capt. Richard Phillips said he was sure he was a goner.

"I didn't think I'd ever get out of that boat," the courageous 53-year-old Maersk Alabama captain told Matt Lauer in an interview airing Tuesday on "Today."

"I was in deep trouble from day one....It didn't change for me," he said.

Speaking out in detail for the first time since being held hostage off the Somali coast by pirates, Phillips said, in the darkest hours, "I was just settling everything. Getting ready to die....Saying my last thoughts" about his wife, Andrea, and their kids.

Phillips also explained the events that led up to his escape attempt.

"I was still able to communicate" with the Maersk crewmen, because the pirates were "a little lax in their control of some things."

For a while, he said, he had radio contact with his cargo ship, and, "I told them if you see a splash in the water, it's because I'm coming."

Phillips did go overboard but was hauled back by the pirates.

"Things changed from that point on," he said. "There was always a gun on me."

On April 12, with one pirate pointing an AK-47 at Phillips' back, three SEAL snipers took advantage of the pirates' momentary carelessness and shot three dead simultaneously. A fourth was taken prisoner.

Source: nydailynews.com

No comments:

Post a Comment